Monday, March 9, 2009

Mutt 911

From MSNBC:

Dog Comes To Woman's Rescue, Bites Intruder

Westmoreland County Trailer Resident Kicks Attacker In Groin

hePittsburghChannel.Com
updated 47 minutes ago

HEMPFIELD TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A woman and her dog fought off an intruder late Friday night who likely has some bruises.

State police said a man wearing all black clothing with a hood pulled over his head and black paint on his face tried to subdue Stephanie Darnell inside her trailer on Apple Jack Lane in Hempfield Township shortly before midnight.

"He didn't even say a word, not one word, not 'shut up.' Nothing," Darnell said.

Investigators said Darnell awoke when the man entered her trailer and subsequently grabbed her around the neck.

"He pushed me down on the bed and we were struggling, and he choked me and went behind and he went to duct-tape my feet together," Darnell said.

Neighbors became worried when they started hearing noises.

"I will never forget that scream as long as I live. I've never heard anything like it," said a neighbor who declined to be identified.

Darnell, 23, was able to struggle with the man, kick him in the groin and pinch his stomach area, according to state police. At some point during the struggle, Darnell's dog, a border collie-German shepherd mix named Dozier, attacked the man and bit him.

"I think the dog bit him really good. He slammed the dog, and then he ran out of the house and screamed out the door," Darnell said. "I'm grateful. I'm so glad I have him."

The break-in has put residents of the Suburban Acres Trailer Park community on edge. They've already formed a neighborhood watch group.

"I don't know if someone was checking the place out. I have no idea. So, many things run through your mind," said George Pitonyak, Darnell's boyfriend, who was at work during the incident.

Since Friday night, Darnell said it's been tough for her to get any sleep. She and her boyfriend plan to move soon.

State police had only a vague description of the man who fled the trailer, saying he is between 5 feet 6 inches tall and 5 feet 8 inches tall.

No comments: