Sunday, September 7, 2008

Welcome to Speak!

The first thing I'd like to do is make a promise that this will be the only time that I will talk about myself because this website and blog is not about me. It's about man's best friend, the dog.

What I'm going to do here is explain who I am, why I'm doing this, and clarify the Mission Statement of this site, my mission statement. My name's Jon. I am a dog owner, two in fact, neither one of which is a Pit Bull. They're Chihuahuas! I have only been a dog owner for a few months, but I have always loved dogs, the bigger, the better. I love my Chis, but truthfully, they were a second choice. I have small dogs because I can't own anything bigger where I live.

In my chats with shelter workers and other prospective adopters I discovered that if you were interested in adopting a Pit Bull you had better do your research and be prepared to be looked at differently from other dog owners. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area finding a place to rent where dogs are allowed is problematic at best, one thatwould allow a Pit Bull, practically impossible. I was told that if you're a homeowner many insurance companies will raise your rates, that you become a higher insurance risk as a Pit Bull owner. I wanted to know why Pit Bulls seemed like such a liability. What I discovered was a tragedy.

These dogs are the subject of so much misinformation and prejudice it's a wonder any of them get adopted. I remember seeing so many seemingly calm and sweet Pit Bulls at those shelters and realizing that most would probably never find a home it really made me sad. I'm no longer a wannabe dog owner, now I am a dog owner. My first was a rescue from a shelter. It made me feel good knowing that adopting a shelter dog I was essentially saving a life. I do my best to be a responsible dog owner. The obligations can be a chore, but they're all worth it. I have come to love my dogs. The experience of this has made me more sympathetic towards all dogs. My eyes have been opened to what an uphill battle Pit Bulls face. I feel that I have to help.

Perhaps the most important element of prejudice is ignorance. Ignorance can only be defeated with knowledge, with education. With that comes the need to spread that knowledge. That is why I have started this website.

There will be many stories about abuse and neglect, but there will also be those that will give reason to hope as well. I'll make sure there will be articles about dog care and fun as well.

Here's where I stand on various issues:

I am against any rule, law, or behavior that is unfair to any particular breed of dog.

Fighting dogs for sport is abhorrent.

Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) is based solely on fear and prejudice and must be fought whereever it exists or is proposed.

There are too many people that feel purity of breed is important.

There are too many adoptable dogs already in shelters waiting to find a good home. Dog breeders are aware of this, making breeding inherently wrong. Breeders only exist because there is a demand to be fulfilled. End the demand. Spay and neuter. Discourage breeders. Consider shelter and rescue dogs
exclusively.

I am a fan of Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer, but won't close my ears to those that are critical of his techniques.

All rescued dogs should be evaluated as individuals before any decision is made about their future. Even, perhaps especially, dogs that come from the worst environments (i.e., dog fighting, puppy mills).

PETA's position that dogs rescued from fighting rings should be summarily euthanized is wrong. Until PETA changes its position they do not deserve our support.

The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) takes a similar position, but they do far more than PETA to stop abuse.

No breed of dog is born genetically more dangerous than any other. They all have equal potential to be great pets and companions.

Finally, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

This site has evolved from my personal blog at http://jonwlow.blogspot.com. I don't plan on mentioning myself in any more posts, nor am I going to list my profile. As I said earlier, this isn't about me, it's about the dogs. If anyone is interested in who I am it will be this post alone that reveals it. Just go to my personal blog site if you want to know any more about me.

I intend to keep this site evolving. I hope you keep coming back long enough to see it become something great.


No comments: